Thursday 10 February 2011

Diana...


I wanted to talk a little about my friend Diana.
Diana is a remarkable woman in many ways, she's pretty much martial arts royalty (being the daughter of Guro Dan Inosanto and the God-Daughter of Bruce Lee), she's a renowned martial artist in her own right, an accomplished fight choreographer and stunt-woman, an actress..the list goes on!

But it is Diana's work as a Writer-Director that I wanted to talk about...and what her film (The Sensei) means to me.
The Sensei is an amazing film, it's an Indie feature, but it looks and feels like a big budget drama/thriller. Tackling such topics as AIDS, Homosexuality, Bullying and Prejudice in 1985 - during the rise of the AIDS panic - and delivering a strong message about the healing power of martial arts and the courageousness of individuals who are willing to stand by their convictions in the face of abuse.

It's not a film about violence, it's a film about standing up to abuse and finding self respect. It's a subtle distinction but an important one. Sometimes you just have to draw a line in the sand!

It's powerful stuff and it has a very important message.
I talked to Diana a lot about the film and about my own fears and self-doubt (the legacy of my own bullying as a child and teenager).
Any film about such subjects cannot help but get a strong response from me, but I found The Sensei to be particularly moving and inspiring.
I believe very strongly in the healing power of martial arts and in the strong bond of friendship that can be formed by training and evolving alongside a person (something a friend of mine once described as a "Martial Family").
This film captures that perfectly.

I credit The Sensei as another one of the resons I found the nerve to make Is it 'cos I'm Fat and face my own personal demons.

It's amazing to think that just 9 months later I was in California, facing an opponent in a stick fight while Diana cheered at ringside!


She wanted to holler something suitably British to spur me on, so she shouted "Cheers" every time I hit the guy. How amazing is that?

I think Diana is an exceptional role model and a true spokeswoman for anti-bullying causes and I cannot put into words what the friendship and support of Diana and her husband (Ron Balicki) mean to me.
Therefore it was with great delight that I received mail from Diana last week informing me that she had been chosen to accept the American Courage Award from the Asian American Justice Center (AAJC)!

Diana will will join the rank of past recipients of the American Courage Award such as:

Lt. Dan Choi, Iraq veteran and LGBT activist who risked his career to stand up to the military’s “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” policy

Mallika Dutt, Executive Director and Founder of Breakthrough, who works to address critical issues such as violence against women, sexuality and HIV/AIDS, racial justice and immigrant rights through today’s media and popular culture

Susan Ahn Cuddy the first Asian American woman to achieve the rank of officer in the U.S. Navy

And many, many more...

Diana remains a great inspiration to me as a film maker and a true friend.

On behalf of everyone who worked on Is it 'cos I'm Fat I'd like to send my congratulations to a truly remarkable woman.

Congratulations Diana, you deserve this...

Andy

To find out more about The Sensei, visit the official website

No comments: